Mayfair homes is working on net zero energy and coordinating with LG Electronics on their project of LG Residential Solution Package. A net zero energy (NZE) building is a building with zero energy consumption, meaning the total amount of energy used by the building on an annual basis is roughly equal to the amount of renewable energy created on the site. So this renewable energy must create using sustainability, green sources and using value engineering techniques. These buildings contribute less overall green-house gas to the atmosphere than similar non-NZE buildings. On the other side these buildings also consume non-renewable energy and produce green-house gases. And at other times they reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas production somewhere else by the same amount.
In Canada CanmetENERGY and its partners are working on the concept of net zero energy in the new home market. They has developed the technical approach for evaluating the NZE aspects of the 12 homes across Canada being constructed as part of the CMHC led EQuilibrium Project. Monitoring data is likely to show which of these homes will make the NZE milestone. This will be a great achievement and prove that we can get there today, at least technically. Eventually their goal is to work on both the whole house performance analysis and some of the new and innovative technologies required for NZE housing.
A net zero energy building is a building that, in its design, construction or operation, reduces or eliminates negative impacts, and can create positive impacts, on our climate and natural environment. These buildings preserve precious natural resources and improve our quality of life.
Most of the areas to make NZE building may include:
- Efficient use of energy, water and other resources
- Use of renewable energy, such as solar energy
- Pollution and waste reduction measures, and the enabling of re-use and recycling
- Good indoor environmental air quality
- Use of materials that are non-toxic, ethical and sustainable
- Consideration of the environment in design, construction and operation
- Consideration of the quality of life of occupants in design, construction and operation
- A design that enables adaptation to a changing environment
Beside that we also have other similar program available in GTA: