Value Engineering (VE) can be defined as a conscious and clear set of disciplined procedures, designed to look for optimum value for both initial and long term investments. In custom home project Value Engineering is not a cookie cutter design modification or a cost cutting work out exercise.
Value Engineering is an innovative, planned effort, which analyzes the necessities of a project for the purpose of achieving the necessary functions at the best net costs. It can be achieved through the planned investigation, using prior experienced, multidisciplinary teams, study of alternate design concepts, different materials, and special methods without compromising the functionality and value objectives of the project.
Here we have a few tips of Value Engineering for a custom home which may keep the high standard design and cut down the price at the best value.
1. Energy efficient design and Energy audit: When designing a new custom home or remodeling your existing one, you need to investigate the energy efficiency, which will help you in saving energy and money in the long run. It is a good time to consider adding a renewable energy system like a small wind turbine or solar panels that will provide your home with water heating, electricity, or home heating and cooling.
2. Optimal Plumbing and HVAC Drawings: Minimum wiring of heating line for plumbing and HVAC line for heating and cooling may save your energy and bills. It is recommended that furnace, boiler and AC drawings must be drawn in a way that they are at a minimum distance from kitchen, family room, master bedroom and master bathroom.
3. Master bath options. The over sized soaking tub takes up a lot of space and many peoples would prefer not to do it. The most common solution is to include a combo two piece tub+shower. You may set up a linen closet or standing shower in the base design.
4. Bring the fireplace inside. In the past the wood burning fireplace having brick chimneys was placed on the outside wall extending to the roof. Now the fireplaces are evolving into a gas or electric appliances. So outside the wall firebox can only be justified if the room becomes too small by not doing so. It is better yet, to make the fireplace an option on smaller planes.
5. Foundation alternatives. Because of high prices of home peoples love to rent the basement, which cause lack of storage space. There is slab foundations creep into traditional basement markets so by adding storage space over the garage and in attic roof trusses, storage space can be delivered more cost effective solution.
6. Window energy efficiency, count and placement. Windows are the sign of light and heat. Look to competing product to see if your plans are over window. Put in second and third bedrooms at least one window. Master suite has should two or three windows. Given a choice of locations, windows on the front wall/ street facade will add perceived value to the plan.
7. Straight-up walls. The cost per square foot might be minimized by minimizing foundation jogs and covering most or all of the ground and second floor space. Eliminate two story and vaulted space and minimize second floor setbacks except to provide interest in the elevation.
8. Simplified roof systems. Attempt to decrease the number of roof truss profiles to two or three. Maintain roof pitches rational for transport and assembly costs. Apply bearing walls to avoid large girder trusses where it is possible.
9. Sun rooms and Sun spaces. Sun spaces serve three main functions: they are a source of supplementary heat, they provide space to grow plants, and they are pleasant living areas.
10. Basement Separate Entrance: Separate entrance for the basement has given you an option of rental property which may reduce your mortgage or source of income.
11. Laundry on second floor: It is more practical to set up laundry on second floor. Moving of cloths from bedrooms to ground floor or basement is less convenient and hard with old age.
For more information to know about how to use value engineering and sustainability in custom homes please call Mayfair homes, your best luxury custom home builders in Toronto.
Click Here for Related Post : Custom Home Builders Toronto , Luxury Custom Home Builders Toronto , Construction Management Companies in Toronto , Home Renovations Toronto, Custom Home Builders Scarborough , Custom Home Builders Mississauga , Custom Home Builders North York , Custom Home Builders Richmond Hill .